Many vacationers spend a year or more in time saving for their vacation. They want to make sure they do all the things they would like to, make memories and experience all they can in one trip. Not everyone knows there are quite a few things to do on the island that will cost you little to no money at all. It’s hard to believe in this day and time that there is anything “free” but, there is!!!! Below, you will find things to do on the island that are little to no cost to you.
- Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is located in Buxton. Admission to climb is: $8 for adults/ $4 for kids 12 & under/ $4 for senior citizens. Experience the island from a birds eye view; it’s an extraordinary sight.
- Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum is located in Hatteras Village. Admission is donation only. Learn about shipwrecks and the history of the Outer Banks,
- Ferry Ride to Ocracoke is located in Hatteras Village that takes you to Ocracoke Island. The ferry ride is free. Find many shops, eateries, gift shops, golf cart and bike rentals, a lighthouse and more on the island.
- Unloading Catches at the Docks- Going out on a boat does cost money but, watches the boats come in from fishing and throwing the different fish on the dock is free: you can find many marinas in Hatteras Village that have boats coming in daily (between 3:30 and 5pm) and unload their catch of the day onto the docks; then follow the fish cleaners to their stations and watch how quickly they can clean fish.
- U.S. Weather Bureau Station is located in Hatteras Village. This is the welcome center for Hatteras and is free. You can find different pamphlets and information on the island there.
- Buxton Woods Nature Trail is located in Buxton and Sea Breeze Trail is located in Hatteras. Visit these two nature trails; look for different wildlife creatures and enjoy beautiful scenery and a nice walk. Both trails are free.
- Frisco Native American Museum is located in Frisco. The admission is $5 for adults or $3 for seniors. You will find many interesting artifacts and other fascinating this in this museum.
- Avon Fishing Pier is located in Avon. It costs $1 to walk to the pier (definitely a bang for your buck at sunset) or you can fish all day: $10 for adults and $7 for kids 12 and under. They have all your fishing needs (even rent gear) buy bait, food, etc.
- Hatteras Island Ocean Center is located in Hatteras. They have different things that are free and a great experience such as: “Beginner Birding”- learn about different birds and use their binoculars to scope out some of the birds you learned about. “Let’s Get Crabby”- Learn about crabs and then go out crabbing with everything provided by the Ocean Center. There are also some other things you can do here that only cost $5 such as: “Sea Turtle Talk”, “Island Science” and “Nature & Art”.